Monday 17 August 2009

So we had a couple of nights in Aylesbury and we enjoyed that. Went to a 15century pub , only to find it had been "gussied up" with that tongue and groove stuff in a pale green colour. Now this stuff is all ok in the correct setting, but I had been looking forward to dark rooms, soft lights, wooden beams etc.some brass, open fire... you get my meaning.

So anyway we walked in and Mick asked for a pint and a medium sized red wine for me. The young lady behind the bar asked what sort of red I preferred. "Strong, nothing wishy-washy and certainly NOT californian, thank you" to which the bloke my side of the bar, dressed like a spanish waiter ( tight black trousers, white shirt, dark slicked back hair, skinny) said " perhaps she would
like to try the .. .............". I looked at him.
I was given a thimble full to try.( oh, this is so tiring !), it was awful. No flavour, not even red( sort of watery pinky ) and it was FRENCH( sorry but I think the frogs have lost it when to it comes to making red wine. they are still good at the white though...... Oooh just remembered," Sorry Arno" no offence meant, and I am sure you will say " none taken )
" have you a tempranillo grape variety, please ?" Spanish waiter-type walks off in a huff. He obviously thinks I am some hick just up from the country, whos watched too many programmes featuring Gillie Goolden. So Mick shells out £6.80 and ........ here we go ........

Rob( mick's son, who after reading our blog,reckons we are a couple of lushes for quaffing so much wine), you will probably know whats coming next?..... "When I was a boy...... and when you were talkng proper money- bobs and shillings- I could have got 48 pints + 4 packets of fags( embassy) + a piece and six( fish and chips) 4 times for that price"

So we had our drink , and bitched about the naff decor, read the Daily Telegraph and then went back to Trundle......................................................with a long stemmed wine glass. oooooops !

No comments:

Post a Comment