Friday 7 August 2009

Welford Arm, Foxton Locks AGAIN, Mkt Harborough



Sunday 2nd August, and Steve and Debbie Morley came for the day. We meet up with them when passing through Peterborough, but this was the first time that they had been out on Trundle with us. So we were moored down the Welford Arm( lovely) and went for lunch at the wharf inn first. The blokes requested an extra yorky pud, and when the waitress turned up, she said " I hope you all like yorkies" and presented us with a plate of 15 !!!! Whey Hey. The food was excellent and highly recommended and the chef is a little star. Aaaah.


To the right of the lock is a buddleia that was covered with butterflies and bumbles.







Took them for a trundle up the cut, which they really enjoyed, so much so, that they are thinking of going on the broads next year. After saying good bye, we walked back down the track and Mick spied movement in the long grass. It was a baby vole. He was lovely, so we had a quick inspection and put him back close to his home again.






Some NB holidaymakers had asked us where, in my opinion, they should go for 5days( Now now, dont be like that), and I had suggested Foxton Locks and the Welford Arm, to see the Budleia at the lock. ( covered in 6 different butterflies, bumblebees etc) Am I repeating myself ????






Anyway, to cut to the chase. We saw them again, and they did as I suggested and had a wonderful time.






We really, really liked The Welford Arm and will be back.









So On wednesday we had Roger,Bridget and Jackie visiting us, so it was imperative to get back down Foxton Locks and to Mkt H, for a PUMP OUT etc.






Had loads of helpers going down the locks, as usual, and then down the Mkt Harboroug arm, I came to the swing bridge( sometimes quite hard to do), and this young man called Tate( I thought he said Dave) offered to help. Its school hols, so I said OK, thanks. He then informs me that he has been getting a fiver from boaters for his help, WHAT ? I said "well you won't be getting that from us". Then he informes me that another boater gave him £3. " No way, mate, my husband will not be matching that. Bit of an entrepreneur, are you ?". then he looked hopefully at me and said " a quid?". "possibly" says I. I asked Mick if he had a pound. Yes thanks he replied. Ok, ok, we did give him a pound, seeing that its the hols.






Mick informed hi m that is he was still there tomorrow it would be 50p. and NO he wasn;t there. !






No comments:

Post a Comment