Wednesday 26 August 2009

Drama at a lock

sorry about blog. It puts pics on where I don't want them and misses stuff off. as the signal goes, it "says" it saves stuff. but it doesn't seem to save stuff correctly.

Hey ho.. anyway the pic before shows their boat " the morning after the night before", curtains closed, snoring sounds etc. and if I had been able to get our boaty pic on- curtains open, doors open, mick jogging around the park ( Ha!) etc.


Anyway after leaving Wendover Arm and with news of forthcoming bad weather, we decided to make for Leighton Buzzard and a bit of retail therapy- for Trundle mainly .

However at a lock we broke one of the cardinal rules when working a boat through a lock.

We got Trundle in the lock and I walked to the paddles, lifted them and started emptying the lock. Mick( who admits it was his fault) thought " I'll nip for a quick pee" and he didn't tell me that he was missing from the back of Trundle.(I would normally wait until " TillerMan" was back in situ before carrying on). I turned around and................saw Trundle on the cill of the lock( for non-boaties this is a ledge) up in the air, nose going down, no Mick. I screamed for him to show himself and after a second started lowering the paddles to stop water leaving the lock then I ran, yes RAN to the gates and started letting water in ( all the time asking mick non politely as to where he had been ??????). We finally got her floating again.I sat on the balance beam and cried my eyes out. What an awful thing to see.And you hear so many sad tales of people inside their boat as it tips over in a lock, with no escape. Ok so I am being a bit dramatic.
Finlay didn't lose his cool or his balance, but for scaring the proverbial out of me, Mick is taking me out for a nice meal tonight at The Globe.I may ask for a bottle of Tattinger ! I will not get it. !

No comments:

Post a Comment