Friday 24 September 2010


Trundle from Cracks Hill, Crick.




Trundle with candles lit. !
Well, since there was to be no meet-up with Scooby and RitaRose, we decided to really shift and got through Nottingham, Loughborough and up Foxton and down the Watford flights. This meant 2 x7hr – 8hr days. Unheard of for us. But quite normal for hire boats.

I had a bit of an accident at Mountsorrel lock. Lockside is quite high, so had my leg up in the air( so to speak) and was pushing off the boat with my other leg,and the mat slipped. ! ( I thought it was my small beer belly getting in the way, but Mick assures me it was the mat). Anyway I fell backward twixt side of lock and Trundle, but was grabbed by my hero( that would be Mick, not a part of my anatomy).I was just about to be squashed like a bug. Felt a bit of a twit, at the time. And now a few days later, I have some colourful bruises on knee, arm and bottom.


Came to Cracks Hill at Crick.This is a place where all NB’s want to moor up, then walk up the hill and take a pic of the boat. See pic. But the name is quite unusual , so I sent out some texts for anyone wanting to Crack a Joke. Out of 6, 3 replies. ! First one up was a phone call from Scooby, 5 mins after receiving the text asking “ are you cracking up “. Oooh my sides are aching –NOT. 2nd was a text from Yorky Chris saying “in view of micks age should be called crocks hill “ ! not bad, not bad. The 3rd was from Jim and Mar +2, saying “ as our minds are pure, we can;’t think of any jokes relating to cracks ! “.. Hooo Hooo. Yeah, right. !



Got as far as Norton Junction, to find chums Jim and Maralyn + 2( cairns) on NB Barron No 1, were at the bottom of the Buckby flight. ! Quel surpreese !

So after waiting for our shopping to be delivered by Mr Tesco, they kindly got the locks ready and helped us down the flight. This was to cost us in scotch, but fait price to pay. !!!!
After enquring as to what they were up to. They have decided to have a trundle down to Milton Keynes, with us.
We are hoping to see Mel and Pete.( becoming a bit of a tradition now, that when we finish our travels around canals, and before we go down to Northampton, we cruise to bridge 81, moor up and have a few winy old evenings with them. Handy as they live 2 mins from the bridge ).
Also attempting to meet up with Rick and Val( another tradition). However, if not to be I am sure they will come and visit us in The Fens, duck. !

Weather has turned a bit grim, but we are on a pretty tow-path, and its pre-dinner drinks on the boat behind tonight.

Oooh, while I remember and not sure if Richard is still looking at the blog, but “Have a good cruise to York. Hope the tidal Great Ouse treats thee kindly “.

No comments:

Post a Comment